Sunday, October 5, 2008

therapy and taylorsville

Well it's been a pretty crazy week! I'll start with Rick's therapy. In this video he's doing a bike called a F.E.S. bike. They hook electrodes (not sure I spelled that right) on is legs. They put two on top of his thigh, two on the bottom and two on his butt. They hook him up to the bike and then his muscles get shocked and they move. His muscles last about 15 minutes and then the bike switches over to passive therapy, which means it stops shocking him and the motor in the bike just runs. It switches over because his muscles get fatigued. But the more he does it, the longer his muscles will go and the stronger they'll get. It's a really cool bike. Christopher Reeve's (superman) was actually doing this bike before he died, and from what I hear he was making great progress. Another video that's on there is a nustep bike. He moves it with his arms and it moves his legs. It's a great work out for him. And the other video is just him doing some sit ups. Therapy is going great!! We love it there! This last time we went they just sent him into the gym and got a workout plan. He was so sore the next few days. He is going to get so buff!! They work on his transfers all the time, and he's getting great at them. We've met so many amazing people there. It's so cool because so many people there have had spinal cord injuries and it's fun to talk to people that are in your same situation. There's people there that are higher injuries then Rick and lower. So it's neat to see how everyone does everything and all the different levels of spinal cord injuries. It makes us feel blessed because we meet so many people that have it harder than we do, and it always reminds us that no matter how hard we have it, someone has it harder and we should count our blessings.

Well after therapy on tuesday we drove home and I went to work on wednesday morning. When I got to work I found out that my home health company is going out of business! So that wasn't very good news! But hopefully I can find a job that works with therapy and being home with rick soon. After that we drove back to salt lake (well taylorsville) and went to my parents house. We haven't been there since Rick's accident, and it sure felt good to go there. I grew up in the same house my whole life and I was so excited to go stay. On Wednesday we just drove up there and just hung out at home that night. On Thursday we went to therapy in the morning and then went to the Provo hospital for some doctor's app. We had a wound care app. and they said how amazed they were how his wound looks. She said we must have been praying really hard, and I told her, "Oh believe me we have!" Hopefully we'll be done with his wound here in the next month. I am so happy and thankful every day that we didn't do that surgery and have him on bed rest for weeks and weeks! Then we went to his outpatient rehab doc just for a check up, and he said everything is good. Then we went and had x-rays for his neuro doc app the next day. On Friday we went to his neurosurgeon and waited in the waiting room for an hour!! People kept going in, and me and Rick continued to sit there, and sit there, and sit there. When we finally got in, his doc said, "Yep, everything looks good. You don't have to come see us anymore." And that was it!!! We waited for ever, for a 5 min app!!! I was so mad!! But at least everything is good. My cute little nephews came and stayed on Friday night, and they were cracking me up the whole time! In the video below, there's a video I took of my nephew Carter. Sorry it's so shakey, but I was laughing so hard I couldn't keep the camera still!! On Saturday we watched conference and headed out. I was so sad to leave because we had so much fun, and I just love my family so much! My parents sent us home with the best food ever! We're going to eat like kings for the next couple weeks. I wished we could have stayed longer, but I guess I'll have to wait till next time. It just feels so good to be with family. On Saturday night we went to our friends house and played poker. I kicked butt! Then Saturday we hung out with Rick's family and watched conference. We are so blessed for the wonderful families we have! So sorry for such a long post, but there's our week!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow! I'm really impressed! It's just amazing to me to see how far you've come since your accident. Even these last couple months there is such a big difference. Your arms seem so much stronger and just the control you have of your body is great. I don't know how to describe it, but you just look so much better every time I see you. I guess it's easier for me to see your progress because I'm not there every day or every week. Keep up the great work! I believe in you guys. Thanks for all the pictures and updates!

Love,
Jen

Unknown said...

Holy cow...he looks amazing! I watched the video twice...I love that you guyst are finally at Neuroworx! I totally agree...we always count our blessings when we're there because someone always has it worst! But seriously...what more can I say...he looks amazing! I can't wait to hear more!