Monday, May 26, 2008




Well I haven't wrote for a while and like always I have great news! We went to a follow up doctor appointment on Friday with our neuro doctor. The actual doctor wasn't there but we met with his assistant who is also a neuro doctor. He was so surprised when he saw Rick. He said from the report that he got he expected Rick to not be able to do tons of the stuff that Rick can. Typically a C6 injury, which is what Rick has, shouldn't have any triceps or wrist movement. While the doctor was sitting there talking to Rick, Rick was grabbing his mug and taking a drink and moving his arms all over the place. The doctor said he could tell the way Rick was moving he's getting his triceps back and he can do tons of movement with his wrists. When Rick told him he tingles all over, the doc said that was a sign of nerve regeneration. So pretty much it was an awesome visit, because FINALLY a doctor agreed with us that he is getting things back, and the way Rick tingles the doc said it sounds like he will get it back everywhere(Which we already knew) but it's good to hear from someone else. He did say it takes a long time, nerves come back about a milimeter a day, but we think Rick's is going to come back a lot faster. It already has!! After our visit with the doctor we went and visited our physical therapists Shane, and we found out we start therapy again this wednesday. We're excited, it will be so good to have Rick start doing stuff with his legs and everything again. When Rick works his legs with Shane they sure do twitch and move after, and they still do but not nearly as much as when he works with him. So we're excited! Lots of driving for us, but we think it's totally worth it.
This weekend all of Rick's family came to visit. It sure was fun to see everyone again. We went from seeing them everyday to well... not. So it was really fun just to hang out and visit. Rick and I have an awesome family! Which we need it! It's funny because one day we can be in such high spirits and the next day we both feel like breaking down. But our wonderful family and friends sure do help pull us through. And the fact that we know this is just temporary sure does help.
Just a second ago I was rubbing Rick's back and I swear he's getting more feeling. He says he can't tell if it's moving but I think it is. Everyday it seems like it keeps getting bigger, we should get a marker and mark it everyday. I love seeing the improvements in Rick it is so exciting!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, that is the best news ever!!! It is good that you have a doctor that you can talk to and that is so encouraging. I am so happy for you. We are going to therapy on Wed too, so hopefully we will see you. Shane has been keeping track of you on your blog. I'm sure it will be good to see him. He is pretty awesome.

I just really needed to hear some good news, and you just gave me that. I sure do hope to see you on Wed. Norm is finished with PT, and OT this week, but we will be continuing speech. Hopefully we will see you. Take care and drive safe.

You are awesome Rick.

See ya.

Anonymous said...

Tara, you need to put music on your blog. It is way fun.

Anonymous said...

It was so fun this weekend, everyone had a fun time with you. I enjoyed watching you with the Wii. Keep Wii ing. Love ya tons Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

It sure was fun seeing you guys this weekend. I can't believe how much progress Rick has made since we last saw you guys. I loved seeing your house-it sure will be nice! Last week on your blog you said you were being all mushy or whatever, now it's my turn. You guys really are amazing. I am always so impressed when I listen to you talk of all you have been through. I can't believe how strong your faith is. I'm sure you have your ups and downs, but I am continually amazed with you. I really look up to both of you a lot. You not only inspire me, but you inspire everyone I tell about your. Keep up the great work. I love you both.

Love,
Jen